All we are saying is give peace a chance ~ John Lennon
Stress-free is the quality of presence called peace that flows into whatever you happen to be doing. We often assume that we have to strive for this quality but the fact is your brain is wired for peace. Evolution wired it into the neuro-circuitry of the right brain to make peace part of human nature. If you don’t believe it, listen to the TED.COM talk given by Harvard neuro-anatomist, Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor.
The problem for most of us is that we don’t give peace the chance to flip the switch for a better life experience. Instead, the primitive brain takes charge of our auto-pilot and the day goes to hell-in-a-hand-basket of fight, flight or freeze (also known as STRESS).
But don’t stress, peace is still there for the choosing. It is always right here, waiting for you to simply choose it … right now.
Here’s one easy way of flipping the switch to peace in just 30 seconds:
- Stop what you’re doing and step away from the world for a moment.
- Let go of what you were thinking and allow yourself to relax a little.
- Now allow yourself to relax a little more.
- Let go of everything. Feel your brain relax as you let go.
- No worries, no problems, no goals. Just let them all go for a moment.
- Take a slow, deep breath – and as you do – let your mind and heart open wide. Allow peace to begin to emerge as your experience, all by itself.
You can do this short exercise just about anywhere: standing in line, walking to a meeting, or looking out a window. Try it a few times throughout today and see what happens to your day.